Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Day in the Life: September 10, 2018

Day in the Life posts are always my favorite to read. I'm so nosy and love to know what other people do throughout the day and how other moms structure their days. I did this on a Monday since Monday and Friday during the school year are our "Three Musketeers Days," where the boys and I don't have school, Bible Study, etc. We usually can just go have some fun! But this day was a bit weird because Knox decided he wanted to potty train on Sunday evening (coming up to us telling us he had to go and sure enough, went!) and Walker had ended up in urgent care on Sunday due to stomach pains that, after an X-ray, just turned out that he really needed to go to the bathroom. 

Now, every day doesn't look quite like this since we are usually out and about, but here's our Monday, Sept. 10: 

6:59 a.m.: I wake up when I hear Brandon tiptoe back into the bedroom after having breakfast, so I check on the boys and notice they're still sleeping. I decide to lay in bed for a bit and check emails, social media and blogs.

7:08 a.m.: I get out of bed. Brandon's showering and the boys are still both miraculously asleep. I make our bed, pick up a bit around the house, reschedule a play date with a friend, water the plants on the front porch and start folding a load of laundry I left in the dryer the night before while I sip a cup of coffee and try to be as quiet as possible without waking the boys. Walker is usually awake before 7 a.m., so this is a real treat. 

7:15 a.m.: Brandon leaves for work. 

7:27 a.m.: I just finish putting away all the laundry (except for the boys') when I hear Walker coming down the stairs. After a brief meltdown because he didn't get to kiss and hug Brandon goodbye before he left for work, we go into the kitchen where he has a bran muffin (for obvious reasons) and half a banana. I start unloading the dishwasher. I barely get a few dishes put away before Knox wakes up, so I go upstairs and get him out of bed, changed and downstairs for breakfast. 

7:39 a.m.: Knox eats the same breakfast as Walker and I battle with Walker about needing to eat while I resume unloading the dishwasher. I then wipe down the kitchen counters while talking to the boys about Halloween (their latest obsession since I decorated for fall on Sunday evening), about books we want to read that day and alternating bribing Walker to eat his breakfast and asking Knox if he has to potty. 

7:55 a.m.: I get the boys set up with some Halloween books in the living room while I vacuum up bran muffin that's all over my kitchen floor and take Knox's diapers from his Ubbi to the street for trash day. 

8:21 a.m.: At this point, Knox has had an accident, so I have been changing his clothes, making a potty run with him, cleaning up the accident and getting the clothes in the washing machine. I'll do a load at nap time. I get Walker changed into clothes, Knox set up on a towel and turn on "Room on the Broom" on Netflix upstairs while I make their beds and lay out PJs for that night and clothes for tomorrow on their dressers. I do this habitually and it always saves me time that night and the next morning. I sit down with them while they finish the movie and add a few items to my Instacart delivery for that afternoon, order Pull-Ups on Amazon (cheaper for a bigger box) and make a Target drive-up order for "big boy undies" for Knox. 

8:50 a.m.: This is definitely a "more technology" day than normal, but between potty training one child and another with stomach issues of the same sort, I'm resigning to that fact for the day. I turn on an episode of "Mickey and the Roadster Racers" downstairs while I take a quick shower and put some clothes on for the day. 

9 a.m.: I'm out of the shower. I spent the entire time in there explaining to Knox that I would get his cup of water out of the fridge when I got out and trying to convince Walker to go to the bathroom. 

9:45 a.m.: It's a bit of chaos between when I got out of the shower and this time, to be honest. I take Knox out to watch the trash truck. Then, we get out the door to drop off Brandon's dry cleaning and grab the drive-up order at Target. I put a towel under Knox in the car seat and pray for the best. 

10:05 a.m. We are back home and I'm thankful for no accidents while we were out! Knox is so excited about his new "big boy undies." He goes to play outside and had an accident the second he gets out there. I clean that and him up and resume playing outside with him while Walker throws a fit inside. I try my best to ignore it, but it's hard. 

10:30 a.m.: We come inside and go upstairs to color. Knox surprises me and makes it 30 minutes coloring. I'm shocked; he's never lasted that long. 

11 a.m.: We clean up the crayons and do some flash cards. Knox does letters with me and Walker does a matching shapes/colors puzzle, a "same/different" card game and a matching puzzle. 

11:40 a.m.: They play together upstairs while I get lunch ready downstairs. I munch on some salami bites and cheese while I do this. Their lunch is the most random of randoms as I try to clean out the pantry and fridge: turkey sandwiches, broccoli nuggets, pinto beans and an orange. My lunch is more salami and cheese, and celery sticks dipped in Palmetto Cheese. I'm trying my best to get back on this Keto diet. 

12:15 p.m.: We are done with lunch and it's been a long morning, so I turn on "Coco" on Netflix for the boys while I clean up the kitchen. 

12:30 p.m.: Since the weather is cloudy and cool, I decide to take the boys outside and play to get some energy out before nap time. We pause "Coco" and I promise we will resume it later. 

1 p.m.: We are back inside and start to get ready for naps. I usually put Knox down first, followed by Walker, but Walker is whiny and I can tell he's ready to go down, so he goes down first today. We read one of the books he got from his kids meal at Chick-fil-A and then Knox comes in to tell me he has soiled his underwear. I get him cleaned and changed, the clothes in the washing machine, and go back in to tell Walker goodnight and tuck him in. Then, I read "Stormy Night" to Knox before getting him down. 

1:26 p.m.: I come downstairs and collapse on the couch. Usually I use nap time to get a ton of stuff done (blogging, laundry, cleaning, etc.), but today I'm just sitting and I'm not feeling one ounce of guilt about it. I check on the boys on the monitor to ensure they're asleep and then turn on some mindless trash TV for myself. Today's selection is "The Real Housewives of Dallas." My mother- and sister-in-law had both texted me asking about Walker, so I text them back. 

2:30 p.m.: I get up off the couch, start a load of laundry and then my Instacart driver arrives with my Kroger delivery. I unload those groceries and soon thereafter, my other Instacart driver arrives with my Aldi delivery and I get that unloaded. Thank goodness for grocery delivery, but especially on days like this where we're pretty homebound. (Here's a code for you to get $10 off your first Instacart order!)

3 p.m.: Walker wakes up from his nap and comes downstairs. He has a snack of blackberries and strawberries while I transfer the load of laundry to the dryer, make Almond Joy Keto "Fat Bombs" and cut up our fruit/put them in containers in the fridge (a trick my friend Emily told me about) in hopes they keep a little longer. 

3:25 p.m.: Knox is awake, so I go upstairs to get him and lay the boys' PJs out on their beds for that night after bath. It makes the evening craziness just a touch easier. 

3:30 p.m.: I'm back downstairs finishing cutting up the fruit while Knox has a yogurt pop and the boys watch an episode of "Llama Llama" on Netflix. I decide to go ahead and make their lunches for school the next day and set the coffee for in the morning, too. While I was doing that, I called Knox's teacher to discuss potty training at school, packed him a bunch of changes of clothes in a Ziploc bag for school during the process, and checked the mail. 

Their lunches for the next day are: a turkey wrap (a piece of deli turkey wrapped around string cheese), a quarter of a bran muffin, sweet potato chips, and a fruit salad of strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. 

4:10 p.m.: I have to go get pear juice for Walker, so we load up and head to Natural Grocers. While there, I get some more blueberries and bananas because the ones from Instacart were smaller sizes than I thought. Surprisingly, no accidents from Knox while we were out and I'm so glad!

4:45 p.m.: We arrive home and I have the boys go play upstairs while I turn on the news and get dinner started. Tonight we are having Keto Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Casserole and roasted Brussels sprouts. 

5:30 p.m.: After three potty trips for Knox, dinner is in the oven. The boys are still playing upstairs, so I fold the laundry I started earlier while Brandon makes his way home from work. 

5:40 p.m.: Brandon is home from work and I pour a much-needed glass of wine while he and the boys go outside and replace the pool filter and blow off the patio. 

6 p.m.: Another successful potty trip for Knox (he was excited to show Brandon), we sit down together as a family and eat dinner. Brandon cleans up the kitchen while Walker goes to play upstairs and I take Knox to the potty again. Once the kitchen is cleaned and put away and everything is prepped for the next day, we all sit down in the living room. Brandon and Walker play a video game while Knox "reads" through our stack of Halloween books and I browse Pinterest for ideas for our upstairs combo game room/play room and also catch up on social media. 

7 p.m.: Brandon bathes the boys and we sit down to watch a few more minutes of "Coco" before he puts the boys to bed. Usually we split this duty (I take one boy and he takes the other) but he reads to them together and lays them both down. 

7:30 p.m.: We sit down together on the couch and watch the finale of "Bachelor in Paradise," and then catch up on our days. 

9:35 p.m.: Lights out. It's been a long day and I'm exhausted! 

Linking up with Jessi and Jenn 


  1. Love day in the life posts!! Especially as Tatum's getting more active - I love to see what the boys do! Hope Walker is feeling better and potty training continues!

  2. I love these day in the life posts too! It's so interesting seeing what a day is like for someone else!

  3. On my days home from work we are very similar! (but you have two rugrats and way more laundry! Whew!) Thanks for giving us a glimpse into y'alls day! ps Mom and I randomly were pricing flights to TX the other day!

  4. I will be attacking the potty training thing soon so this helps me knowing how others do it. I will take off work and make a long weekend out of it. That recipe looks yummy, I will have to try it out!

  5. These days are full for sure aren’t they?? Love the Target pick up and instacaet!! This makes me want to do another day in the life post soon!

  6. I love these types of post! This one makes me exhausted for you because sick little ones and potty training are both a lot of work and having to do both at the same time sounds exhausting. What a full day! I need to try Instacart. I use pickup at our regular grocery store but I go to Aldi every week, too, so I am going to check that out!


© Life as the Mrs.
Blogger Templates by pipdig