During my 20's, I've graduated from college; held three jobs; met the love of my life; gotten married; traveled; had one beautiful boy and have one on the way (next month!). It's been a wild ride, but I've learned a lot, grown a lot and know more about myself, who I am, and what I stand for.
So, to celebrate my 29th birthday today, I wanted to share 29 things about me! Some of them are random, some are weird and some are just silly. So here are 29 things about yours truly:
(1) I was crowned "Miss Polk County" my senior year in high school having had absolutely zero pageant experience ever. The pageant doesn't lead anywhere, so it's just a fun hometown thing, but it was a neat experience and one to say I'm proud I won! (And something cool is that my mom and aunt were both first runners-up in this same pageant!)
(2) I graduated from college (Baylor University, Sic 'Em!) with a BA in Journalism/Public Relations with a minor in Corporate Communication. When I first entered college, I thought I wanted to get my degree in Fashion Merchandising, and then Nutrition, but apparently you have to pass Chemistry 101 to get that degree. ;) After some prompting, I finally decided to try out PR, and once I entered Baylor's Castellaw Communications Building, I never looked back! I absolutely loved working in public relations and do miss the juggling of multiple clients and events, as well as the press release editing process, but I'm loving my job with the title "Mommy" a lot better. :)
(3) Baylor was the only college I applied to, and I was accepted the fall semester of my senior year in high school. So to say I flew by the seat of my pants all senior year would be an accurate statement. ;)
(4) I'm an avid "Jeopardy" watcher. (I know, so nerdy, right?!) Nothing satisfies me more than answering a question correctly that the contestants answered incorrectly. Ha!
(5) I'm a grammar freak. It gives me hives when people use "your" vs. "you're" or "peak" vs. "peek" incorrectly. Blame it all on my Journalism/PR degree!
(6) I pop so many bones in my body and I know it's absolutely awful for me, but I do it anyway: knuckles, wrists, elbows, neck, back, knees, ankles and toes. Brandon can't stand listening to my "bones crack everywhere" when I wake up in the morning, but man, does it feel so good!
(7) I'm really not a picky eater, but I do have a weird texture aversion to some foods. For example, I love coconut-flavored anything, but I absolutely refuse to eat anything with coconut flakes on or in it (e.g. a coconut cake); and the sound a water chestnut makes when I'm chewing it is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
(8) I absolutely love getting manicures, pedicures and massages. I'm most definitely a girly-girl!
(9) I'm a clean freak. I always pick up our house before I go to bed at night, and I do deep cleaning (like washing sheets, towels, bath mats and mopping the floors) once a week. I'm also very Type-A and almost OCD about organization. (I'm definitely the eldest child, if you didn't know!) If my house is messy and/or dirty, I get anxious!
(10) Spring and fall are my favorite seasons. I can totally live without Texas' scorching summers and nasty, wet winters. I also like the sports that correspond with those seasons, too: baseball and football. I'm not super into sports, but I'll take watching a college football game or a college (or professional) baseball game over a basketball or hockey game any day.
(11) I have never seen some "classic" movies: "Back to the Future," "Braveheart," or "The Princess Bride." My husband tells me I'm deprived. Ha!
(12) I absolutely hate math and am horrible at it! Thank goodness for the calculator and the tip calculator app on my iPhone or I'd be up a creek. Seriously, learning multiplication tables was torture to me, and the only thing I remember from Geometry in high school is "A2 + B2 = C2." I ended up having to take one math class in college that was basically the math equivalent of "Rocks for Jocks" (and I stupidly saved said class until my senior year)...and I made a "D." And let me tell you what, that was the happiest I've ever been to make a "D" in a class!
(13) I grew up in a small town in southeast Texas near all of my dad's family: grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins…and I loved every minute of it. We would see my grandparents multiple times a week; my cousin Robert and I were in the same grade (at the same schools) growing up; and we went to the same church as 99% of my family. I wouldn't trade growing up in a small town with family nearby for anything.
(14) But on that note, I love the anonymity living in a big city gives. Sometimes it's a nice break and I don't have to be "on" all of the time. But going back home does make me really nostalgic and I sometimes wish my kids could grow up in a small town, because it really is a special thing.
(15) If I buy something I love, I'll go back and get it in every color. Creature of habit, much?
(16) I absolutely love brunch. I eat breakfast every day because I have to or I'll starve, but give me a good brunch with bottomless mimosas and/or Bloody Mary's and I'm yours forever.
(17) I love quotes! In fact, I used to type them out, print them and tape them to my bathroom and bedroom mirrors growing up. (I still do this for Brandon if I know he's had a tough day at work and needs a little encouragement.) It's so hard for me to pick my favorite quote, so follow my Pinterest board with them for a peek into those I like!
(18) I'm not athletic in the least. I ran short-distance track and played golf in high school, and had a two-year stint as an 8th- and 9th-grade cheerleader…and that's it. I'm most definitely a girly-girl and pray Walker gets his athletic ability from Brandon, who played a ton of sports growing up and is super athletic.
(19) I played the piano for 10 years and sadly have forgotten all of it. I can read music and could play if I sat down and tried after practicing, but I can't play like I used to and that makes me sad. Brandon, however, can play the piano by ear and plays beautifully! I could sit and listen to him play all day long.
(20) I'm left-handed. I do pretty much everything left-handed, except for cutting with scissors, which I do right-handed.
(21) I am a total wimp when it comes to pain. Even after having had a baby and gone through the 23,567 blood draws they do before, during and after pregnancy, I still can't look when they take my blood or insert an IV. It gives me the heebie-jeebies. (I got my epidural at a "3" if that tells you anything…)
(22) I absolutely love shopping, whether for clothes or beauty products. I'll always justify any expense when it comes to shopping!
(23) I write my grocery list down, and then go back and re-write it in the order things are in the store. It makes the grocery shopping process go by so much faster! OCD, much?
(24) I absolutely love traveling and have a working list of places I'd like to travel with Brandon. I know we'll be doing a lot of kid-friendly vacations the next many years, but I can't wait to cross some places off my bucket list.
(25) Speaking of lists, I make a to-do list every day. I love the satisfaction of crossing things off of it!
(26) I love Mexican food and think Texas has the absolute best! I could eat enchiladas, tacos and chips/salsa/guacamole every day.
(27) My drink of choice is an ice-cold glass of Sauvignon Blanc, but I also love me a good beer on a hot day (Landshark or Corona Light) and a yummy tropical drink on a beach (anything with rum is a winner to me!). Just the thought of shots makes me gag.
(28) I'm a super hot sleeper and like to sleep in a room that's like an ice box and super dark and quiet. (Except for my sound machine.) I never sleep as well in hotels or at someone else's house than I do at home in my big ol' bed!
(29) The second I get home from anywhere I'm wearing "nice" clothes, I immediately change into comfy clothes or even pajamas. I love to be cozy and comfy!
So, do you and I have anything in common?! I'd love to hear if we do! :)
Linking up with:
Annie and Natalie
Linking up with:
Annie and Natalie